Friday, September 18, 2009

Why there is a heap of junk in our backyard.


As some of you know our family is on the move, yes, again *sigh. As excited as I am to be upgrading this time around moving has got to be one of my least favourite ways of spending my time.
My other least favourite way of spending my time is entertaining Troy, with his sometimes - ahem - wacky ideas by agreeing to let him go ahead with some scheme or another. This is ultimately the reason why there is a heap of junk in our backyard.

It started with admitting that we had to start downsizing on the amount of junk, that by some story or another, had made it on our lawn. i.e. parked vehicles, Troy's scrap metal collection (??yeah I know), the transport trailer Troy brought home from his previous place of employment (jealous much?!), a few horses (well, they aren't junk per say) and the inlaw-suite (24ft camper trailer).
I am a huge fan of Kijiji and hopped right to it. Snapping photos from every angle of everything that needed to be outta here. A.S.A.P!
Early on it was practically a full time job managing the hundreds of emails I was receiving. Here and there, dropping the prices, and one by one things merrily found their way to their new homes and we were making some money. Yes, even the Transport trailer made some older gentleman from Orangeville very happy (I wish I could have seen the look on his wife's face when he pulled in with that one!)

Now, there are two things that Troy loves almost more than me ;). Flat decked trailers and riding lawn tractors. Coincidentally enough some guy offered a swap. His John Deere lawn tractor for Troy's 'retired' Dodge Ram. Troy almost hit the floor when I read that email out loud! Done deal.

Anyway, it comes down to The camper trailer and my brother-in-law's old van. Both asking $300, neither, rolling even one tire onto our new farm. Firm.

Troy - "but you know what old vans are really good for, especially Jan's, because its taller than most vans, is a chicken coop"

Amanda - (cuts him off) "Nope."

We're not getting much interest on either at this point.

Troy - "Hey baby? Why don't you let me tear down the trailer and then we can have a 24 ft flat deck (you guessed it) trailer"

Amanda - "but we have a trailer already and none of our vehicles could even pull a 24 footer if it had anything more than air on it"

Troy - "but you never know, maybe we'll pick up a 4x4 sometime"

(hahahhahahahahahah, doubt that, can't even keep the vehicles we have on the road.)

Not even ten minutes later I hear the sledge hammer banging, the power drill whizzing and a few hours later the circular saw which was quickly upgraded to the chainsaw. I smile to myself thinking he's upping the voltage, must not be as easy as he thought! I grab a beer on that gorgeous Saturday afternoon and walk around to the back of our house with a lawn chair.
I was actually quite surprised with how far he had come along. I sat my butt down and watched. I know that sort of seems like a bitch thing to do but if you've ever met Troy you know when he's doing demo work its best (safer) to stay the hell out of the way.

I asked him why he was being so careful with all of the appliances when they were all just going to the dump anyway his reply was "people will pay good money for this stuff!"
uh huh?
This trailer demolition took only one weekend shockingly enough! I did my own thing, entertained the children, cooked, cleaned and left Troy to it. At one point he came into the kitchen while I was making dinner with the strangest request.

Troy - "hey baby? do we have any crazy glue?"

Amanda - "yep, why"(as I dig through the 'junk' drawer)

Troy - "Oh, I smashed up my finger with the hammer, I just need to close the tear so no dirt gets under the skin"

Of course. I just hand him the glue and go back to straining my pasta.

So 48 hours later we both stand on our front lawn under a beautiful sunset on a Sunday evening staring at our new 24ft flat deck trailer (Troy, in awe. Me, in 'great, he pulled this friggen thing out with our minivan, no wonder why our vehicles keep breaking!) Can't say I didn't call that one!

The next day I got a call from a guy asking if the Camper trailer was still available and I told him no

Amanda - "actually we didn't have much interest so my hubby ended up gutting it and now its a flat deck, sorry"

Guy - "oh really, Does he still have the appliances? I'm actually just looking for the fridge and the convection oven to install in my hunting cabin up north."

He bought them both for $100. Go figure.

1 comment:

  1. Well done... re-using those appliances. I've always felt a little guilty that we just pitched the bathroom stuff when we demolished our upstairs last year.

    ReplyDelete