Monday, September 21, 2009

This is exactly how I like to start off my week. Not.


Around rolls another Monday. Waking up under the heavy, gray sky never is a good thing in this house. We had been so spoiled all weekend with such beautiful weather that I think my brain was attempting to fool me into thinking that summer isn't actually over and that it didn't suck as much as it really had, and that we haven't been royally jipped.
This particular Monday morning, though I was prepared and on schedule, I roll out of bed, rattle the girls' cages and try to slip down the stairs without waking the baby. Half way down in my stealth persona I hear that cheerful little voice at about 10,000 decibels
yell "MOOOOOMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Morning has begun.

As we enter our kitchen we are met with a quarter-sized mouse stomach right there minding it's own business on the floor by the shoe rack. As to where the remainder of that little mouse is, I'm going to have to guess that it is somewhere lodged in Chai Chai's large intestine. I bet you didn't know that cats will eat an entire mouse but most wont (unless they're starving) actually 'eat' the stomach. Why? its really quite simple. What is on a mouses menu is much different than what is on a cat's. Any cat would turn up its nose to a lost fruit loop from under the fridge or some peanut butter licked up from of a counter somewhere which is likely what is half digested in the small organ that I was staring at.
I'm very, very appreciative of our pet cat's new found hunting ability but I wish she would take her breakfast to go and eat it on the front lawn.

Faster than a certified, qualified McDonalds employee I whip together three egg sandwiches, get the baby organized and kick the girls out the door with minimal drama on any of our parts. We stroll down the driveway, its chilly but the sudden briskness in the air actually was welcomed. Things are good, our move is progressing well, the girls are happy, I only had to kick our dog once for barking at the wheels on the stroller like a maniac. This is a good morning. I can deal with a few clouds. Yep Things are good.
We engaged in a brief conversation with our house-coat-wearing neighbour at the bungalow at the end of our driveway. Apparently her toddler grandson had lost her car keys somewhere along our routine path of travel, 'if we happen to stumble upon them, they are greatly missed'.
This is how you wait for a school bus in the morning. You stand. You wait. You wave to the dairy farmer from down the street as he whips by in his excessively humongous pickup. You check the mail box again just in case Canada Post got confused and delivered mail on a Sunday. You wait. Check your watch and wonder how late the bus is going to be. Our new bus pick-up time for this school year is meant to be 8:10am. a very much welcomed revision from last year's 7:30am pick-up time (if only I Blogged back then...groan!). My watch reads 8:18 at this point and I know school starts at a very prompt 8:30am (I was reminded on several occasions last year). I know it is still very early in the school year and I can understand that they have been having trouble with our bus/driver in particular but COME ON!!!! . 8:25 we return to our house and I call the school. After taking so much flack last year for our (really not that often) tardiness I was not taking the shot for this one.
The secretary sounded just as exasperated as I did with the buses.
Remembering that my minivan is still sitting in the garage waiting to have its guts put back together (but at least the tire leaning up against the van has no holes in it and the shiny new rotor is physically attached to the frame) there is no way to transport my kids to school.
Mondays are crap but at least I can usually have my peace and quiet when there is no one here to mess up the cleaning I just did. Today was like Sunday all over again but I didn't wake up to a face full of golden sun shine.
Needless to say, now that the chicken is thrown in the oven (which smells heavenly) and my relentless scorning in the lesson of 'this is how you clean up after yourselves' has paid off,, somewhat I find the time to blog.
Maybe it'll be sunny tomorrow. I fully intend to read an entire romance novel during nap time if its not!
Time to go out for a much deserved cigg.
...oh, and to top things, those dairy farmers decided to cut down their crops today so we are no longer that secret little farm hidden away from the rest of the world!
But, Meh, I'm still smiling!




5 comments:

  1. Wow I did not know that about Cats/Mice! I would have screamed the house down (lol). I really enjoyed reading. Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that cats wouldn't eat a mouse's stomach either. Hm. Learned something new today. :)

    When I was a kid, we lived fairly close to the school; close enough, in fact, that the only year I took the bus was in Kindergarten. From then on, my sister and I walked to school. It was uphill BOTH WAYS! Torture in the winter with the boatloads of snow they get in the UP. Haha... I hope they get your bus driver sorted out soon -- it's not fair to the kiddos that they miss out on learning because of their irresponsibility!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amanda... you keep removing you comments. Wussup?!

    What ever happened to the bus driver?

    Speaking of mice...
    http://peevepost.blogspot.com/2009/09/mousy-in-my-housey.html

    ReplyDelete