Wednesday, September 16, 2009

How to instill the fear of 'mom is a psychic' into your 2 year old

It only took me three kids and 9 years to figure this one out.

While I was muddling around the kitchen this afternoon, doing my ongoing damage control, I happened upon a very curious toddler in the playroom. This room is 'titled' the playroom, however, because we are moving it just happens to be the first room I packed (which consisted of nothing more than going through with several garbage bags that all safely and happily made it to the curb!). The remaining contents are not much more than my internet hub, my router, and a few other electronics including an old office telephone. It is one of those really old-school kind with the multiple line buttons and decked out with the 30ish foot long coil cord. I paused for a minute, out of view of this curious toddler, and took a moment to smile. I watched her interested fingers stretching, tugging, folding and even tasting the long, springy point of interest. It was one of those moments, and if you're a mom I know you know what I mean, I suddenly felt the urge to cry from over-whelming love. Touching, I know! I watched for almost a whole minute, the dishes weren't going anywhere.
So picture this tiny child, kneeling in a nearly empty room, completely baffled, yet intrigued, by this strange, new contraption that just happens to be one of the first things this afternoon that has kept her occupied for more than a minute. To think that this same young child can recognize (and know not to touch) a laptop from across the room, runs to my purse as soon as she hears my cell ring and knows enough to gesture at seeing the display screen on the back of my digital camera after I've taken her picture...just wow!
Anyway, it was really cute and I'm getting off track, back to the fear and wrath and all that!
She didn't know I was watching her and eventually I made enough noise to catch her attention. As fast as a two year old can manage she dropped the cord and wore the face of a deer caught in headlights. She was not in trouble but she didn't know that (I cleared that up with her moments later). If I could put into words what, without a doubt, was going through her mind for those first few seconds it would sound something like this.
"I don't get it, how on earth did she know? I was being so careful to be super quiet. I even tried to hide out of view. I know that she is always telling me 'no touch! Go find your toys' and this is so darn interesting but..ohoh, Mom always just knows"

I didn't take any mind reading classes, I have no super natural powers as far as I know but I'm going to take this and run with it for all its worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment