Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What do you do with an over-sensitive 9 year old?



The past few months have been a bit hectic, I get that, but now that I think all of the chaos that I have been trying so hard to shelter my children from is actually affecting them more than I thought.
Adrianne and Asha have such different personalities. It amazes me because growing up so close together my guess would have been that they would grow to be more alike. Thinking about that now though I guess maybe one compensates for, or compliments the other.

Asha is almost 9. She is bubbly, energetic, self motivated and an excellent problem solver. Sometime too good! An example of this would be when she searched through our cupboards for the food colouring that I didn't even know that we had, to add to her milk when we were out of Nesquik. Green milk anyone? Asha makes friends easily, finds things to occupy her self easily and is what I would consider a leader. She is very loving and nurturing towards her baby sister and everyone in our family. Asha seems to be oblivious to my frazzled rollar coaster fits, or maybe not oblivious but handles my explanations with more ease and acceptance. Maybe that is because she is younger and the part of her brain that doubts my explanations hasn't matured yet. Either way Asha isn't the one who has been crying every morning when she has to go to school...

...That would be Adrianne, the almost 10 year old?! At first I attributed it to a small relapse reaction to having switched schools recently but thinking back I don't really remember her being overly upset those first few weeks. This brings me to wonder whether my fluctuating emotions are rubbing off with such a powerful reaction onto her. Poor girl : (
When I've asked Adrianne why she so easily and automatically breaks down every morning her first response was to tell me that the girls she sits beside in class was mean to her. That very morning I decided to drive the girls to school to nip this problem in the butt. I do not tolerate Bullying. The principal assured me that he would make sure the situation would be dealt with.
However the crying didn't stop. When asked the next morning, why, Adrianne told me that she misses me. That left me stumbling for words. I sort of laughed it off and reminded her that when she is at school all I do during the day is barn chores and laundry (I left out the blogging bit!).
After spending the rest of the day thinking about her words 'I miss you', than breaking down myself I think I understand exactly how my poor little 10 year old 'misses me'.
She misses me emotionally, of course she must, and what a terrible thing to have to feel. I have since had to keep careful check on my mood around these precious little girls as I have had a glimpse into their young, innocent minds. Instead of punishing myself for something that I didn't know I was doing I am giving myself a pat on the back for raising such brilliant, emotionally healthy and happy little girls. Thus far anyway. Talk about an ongoing learning experience this parenting job is!

2 comments:

  1. Geez, you trying to make me cry?

    Amazing! that makes perfect sense. Adri is very sensitive and would totally have an insight like that. Good that you realized that is what she meant by 'misses you'

    Its so sad in a poor Adrianne but happy ending kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete